sábado, 4 de julho de 2009

Sarah Palin demite-se de governadora do Alasca


«Gov. Sarah Palin announced today that she will resign in a few weeks. Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell will take over at the Governor's Picnic in Fairbanks on July 26.

"People who know me know that besides faith and family, nothing's more important to me than our beloved Alaska," Palin said.

"Serving her people is the greatest honor I could imagine."

Palin made the announcement at a news conference at her home in Wasilla.

"I am determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is not the easiest path," Palin said.

"Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional 'Lame Duck' status in this particular climate would just be another dose of 'politics as usual,' something I campaigned against and will always oppose. It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success."

As for her future, Palin said: "I look forward to helping others -- to fight for our state and our country, and campaign for those who believe in smaller government, free enterprise, strong national security, support for our troops and energy independence."

During her press conference, Palin ran off a list of accomplishments during her two-and-a-half years as governor, from helping move forward a North Slope natural gas pipeline to rewriting oil taxes to revising state ethics laws.

Her list touched on a range of conservative, national and international themes including state's rights, smaller government and global warming. She also briefly discussed the barrage of ethics complaints she has faced in the past year or so, noting that she and her husband, Todd, have run up a debt of more than $500,000 to address the complaints.

After Parnell is sworn in as governor, Craig Campbell, head of the state Department of Military Affairs and National Guard, will become lieutenant governor.»

in AnchorageDailyNews.com

Sem comentários: